• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Does it really matter if COD is on the decline or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, one thing I've heard for the past 3 years was "Call of Duty is on the decline". Now, I'm not debating whether it is or isn't. But what I am saying is does it matter? Take a look at the sales. Even at its lowest, it outsells almost every major franchise by millions.

Not many franchises have that kind of pull. This will also give the games an almost guaranteed high number of players even at its lowest point. Which means it will still profit heavily.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
It's not a profit if there is a decline. 20 million down to 15 million is bad. That means Call of Duty is losing market leadership to sustain financial stability for the franchise.

If the "lowest point" happens, that means Activision will have no choice but to abandon the franchise entirely and move onto something like Destiny. That's what Activision did with Tony Haw Pro Skater franchise. You don't sell enough units for a franchise, then you lose money.

So, yes, it does matter. You don't want to be dragging your feet until it really hurts.

moaz13

Recruit
Honestly none of this matters from a player's point of view. There's thousands of other games to play, arguably some better, so if you really want to play CoD, play it and you'll likely find enough people online to have fun.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Honestly none of this matters from a player's point of view. There's thousands of other games to play, arguably some better, so if you really want to play CoD, play it and you'll likely find enough people online to have fun.
But that's why it matters to players - the more players there are in the overall Call of Duty ecosystem, the more opportunity it presents to players to play more. It's like this: If you hop on COD4 today, you'll have a hard time finding games. These hackers destroyed the community already, so for nostalgia reasons alone, you can't play COD4 as it was before. It's done.

Pittski

Recruit
It only matters when they start making close to amount it cost for making and shipping the game. When they are making 100 million more then it cost them that is still a profit in their eyes. Billionaires are one of the many major problems with this world.

js85

Recruit
I really don't think it matters. And I think that's starting to show, too. People will still buy it, multiplayer will still thrive, and it'll keep going. I think the stigma is dying a little bit because people are starting to realize that it's not going anywhere and the stereotypes aren't always accurate.

jobenvy

Recruit
It's not a profit if there is a decline. 20 million down to 15 million is bad. That means Call of Duty is losing market leadership to sustain financial stability for the franchise.

If the "lowest point" happens, that means Activision will have no choice but to abandon the franchise entirely and move onto something like Destiny. That's what Activision did with Tony Haw Pro Skater franchise. You don't sell enough units for a franchise, then you lose money.

So, yes, it does matter. You don't want to be dragging your feet until it really hurts.

Good points, but no matter if Activision dumps COD some other game developer will pick it up and continue the mission. There's still profit to be made long as someone can make money off it. Things will keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements